NJHS Selection Procedures
Will Rogers Junior High
National Junior Honor Society Selection Procedure
The WRJH NJHS follows the selection process established by the national organization, and adheres to the national guidelines and recommended procedures. Membership in NJHS is an honor and a responsibility. Only students who meet the highest standards of scholarship, leadership, character, citizenship, and service are given the honor of admission. NJHS membership is unlike any other school organization or club. No student has a “right” to belong to the organization – it is an honor bestowed upon him/her for dedication to all of these most cherished qualities.
- To be academically eligible, a student must have a 3.75 GPA (on a 4.0 scale) to be considered eligible for membership (this would be based on the last semester grades of their prior year and the first semester grades of the current year).
- In February for 7th and 8th Grade and in May for 6th grade, the sponsor and the faculty council receive a list of all students who are academically eligible based on the 3.75 for membership in the National Junior Honor Society.
- All students who are academically eligible will receive a NJHS information packet that must fill out in order to provide the Faculty Council with information regarding the candidate’s leadership and service. Students must have in-school activities and out-of-school activities which are inclusive of religious, sports, leadership, school, and community activities. Students must return the NJHS information sheet to the chapter sponsor on time to be considered for NJHS membership by the faculty council.
- Students who are completing the NJHS information packet must also obtain signatures from two of their current teachers who would support the decision to induct the qualifying student.
- In addition to academia, the faculty council will consider each student in the areas of leadership, service, citizenship and character. There is no maximum or minimum number of students who will be selected. The chapter sponsor does not participate in the member selection process.
- Leadership: The candidate exemplifies positive attitude, inspires positive behavior in others, demonstrates academic initiative, successfully holds positions of responsibility, and conducts business efficiently and effectively. He/She is reliable and dependable without prodding, and demonstrates leadership in the classroom and in school activities
- Service: The candidate is cheerful, has a cooperative attitude, shows school pride, participates in activities, and volunteers to help. This candidate spends time volunteering in the community, church, or other organizations.
- Citizenship: The candidate relates in a positive way to other students, respects all adults, respects school property, follows school rules in the halls, cafeteria, classroom, and school events, respects authority, and accepts instruction. The candidate demonstrates mature participation and responsibility through involvement with such activities as scouting, community organizations, and school clubs.
- Character: The candidate is reliable, dependable, loyal, kind to peers, respectful of authority, and is punctual with school assignments and organization meetings. The candidate will uphold principles of morality and ethics, demonstrate the highest standards of honesty and reliability, and show courtesy, concern and respect for others. He/She will also observe instructions and rules, manifest truthfulness in obedience to rules, avoid cheating in any area, and show unwillingness to profit by the mistake of others.
- Students who are selected will be notified at school of their invitation to join NJHS.
- Students who are invited to become members will be asked to return an Agreement to Induction form. This tells the chapter sponsor that you are accepting your offer of membership into WRJH NJHS.
- Students who accept membership will be expected to maintain their high scholastic achievement ( above a 3.50), exemplary citizenship and character, to support their school and community through completion of a minimum of 10 service hours per semester, and are asked to be leaders in their classes, in the school, and when engaged in academic or athletic competition.
- Students must also maintain a good standing in NJHS and be current on the payment of their yearly dues.
- Any National Junior Honor Society member who transfers in to our school and brings a letter of current standing from the former principal or chapter adviser will be accepted automatically as a member in WRJH NJHS. Transfer members must meet the new chapter’s standards within one semester in order to retain membership.
- Dismissal: Members who resign or are dismissed are never again eligible for membership in NJHS or its benefits. Students will be evaluated each semester for academic eligibility. Students who fall below the required 3.50 will receive a letter of probation and will have one quarter to bring up their GPA. Students who have a discipline referral will be dismissed from the NJHS as this directly conflicts with the traits of Leadership and Character that are requirements for members. Students who choose to miss 3 meetings per year on days that they are in school are automatically dismissed.
- The NJHS induction is a special occasion where family and friends are invited to honor this achievement of our new members.