Claremore Community to Celebrate ROOSA SPACE DAY - September 18, 2021
Roosa Space Day is right around the corner. The Claremore MoH and Claremore Public Schools are partnering to celebrate a historical event and showcase several exciting new developments in the community. On Saturday, September 18. 2021. Roosa Space Day is open to the entire community. It will feature the Journey to Space STEM Event in the newly completed Innovation STEM Center at CHS, funded by the #CPSZebraBond2019 and the To The Moon And Back Event at the MOH.
The CHS Innovation Center will be full of activities for all ages, including a family/team GooseChase Digital Scavenger Hunt, Drone Obstacle Course, Flight Simulator, Virtual Reality Headsets, authentic NASA artifacts - TBA, and over 25 hands-on STEM activities designed to explore, experiment, and engage students in the world of science, technology, engineering, and math. There will also be several food trucks available for a quick bite to eat.
During the day at the Claremore Museum of History, there will be a sneak peek at the city’s new Roosa Playground in Gazebo Park, the unveiling of the newly expanded Stuart A. Roosa exhibit, a Bill Moore book signing, and more family activities. Later in the evening, there will be a members-only reception.
These events coincide with the 50th anniversary of Apollo 14. We are proud as a city, as a public school system, and as a museum to honor the accomplishments of Claremore’s astronaut, Stuart A. Roosa.
Check back for an update on the list of sponsors and activities.
CHS Innovation Center Sponsors & Activities 1pm - 4pm
- Johnson Space Center: Mock Apollo Suit, Astronaut Glove, Space Food Trays, Inflatable Space Suit
- Tulsa Regional STEM Alliance: STEM in a Bag kits and Moon Map activities
- Rogers State University: Drone Obstacle Course and Virtual Reality Headsets & Activities
- OK Soybean Council: Growing Plants in Space using different mediums
- Oklahoma NASA Consortium: Authentic Artifacts - TBA
- Oklahoma Alliance for Geographic Education OKAGE: Giant Universe Map & Activity
- Civil Air Patrol: Flight Simulator and HAM radio operator experience
- Tulsa Astronomy Club: Getting to know your Star (the sun) activities and information
- Smithsonian Teacher Leaders: GooseChase Scavenger Hunt
- Tulsa Air & Space Museum
- StarBase Oklahoma
- Cameron University
CPS Teachers/ Students Lead Activities
- Solar System Bracelets
- Martian Habitat: Can it withstand the Pressure?
- Solar System Size & Distance Activity
- Draw Your Night Sky: Constellations
- Impact Meteor Craters
- Space Face Painting
- Lunar Lander
- Moon Trees: decorate tree cookies
- Straw Rockets
- Create a Planet
- Getting to Know your Star: Sun Observations (weather permitting)
- Space Patch
- Ring Saturn Game:
- Mars Inguniety Helicopter
- Parachute Design
- Alka Seltzer Rockets
- Lather Print
- Balloon Flinkers: USNA Weather Balloons
- Pinwheel Galaxy
- Moon Phase w/ Oreo Cookies
- Obstacle Course: Effect of Space Travel on Human Eyesight
- Photo Booth
MOH SCHEDULE Family Activities will be available from 1-4p
1 PM - Stuart A. Roosa Exhibit Expansion Unveiling l Bill Moore, author of Oklahomans and Space and space historian lecture and book signing.
2 PM - Moon Tree Dedication & Groundbreaking for Roosa Space Playground
3 PM - Roosa family video message
4 PM Members Only Reception